Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Bread Challenge #5 Avocado-Guacamole Bread and Pesto-Pine Nut Bread

I have to start off by saying I actually made the red beet buns from two challenges ago. I had this sad beet in my fridge just begging me to do something with it. So after taking the advice of other bakers, I used the food processor to shred the beet and that really kept the mess to a minimum. The dough was a cute pink color and I was really surprised after I baked them that the red color dissipated so much. They were really yummy and even my kids ate them. I didn't tell them the "secret" ingredient until after they had eaten them. So thanks for everyone's encouragement to try these buns.


On to the next HBin5 Challenge, Avocado-Guacamole Bread and Pesto-Pine Nut Bread. Living in the southwest, we love avocados and guacamole so I was anxious to try this bread. I wanted to cut the recipe in half but then I put the entire amount of water in by mistake. I knew something was wrong right away when I had a soupy mess. Well, I threw in the other half of flour, yeast and vital wheat gluten and kept mixing. I am writing this as the dough is rising on the counter hopeful that it will still work. I love that about this bread - it is really forgiving.



As you can see from the picture above it came out great except there is that one lone tomato in the middle. Very yummy bread. Had it with spaghetti. I think next time I would add even more tomato and avocado.

Now I need to go out and buy some pesto and pine nuts to make the next bread. Will report back when that is done. Unfortunately I don't think I will get it done for this challenge.


Happy Baking and Eating!

14 comments:

  1. Great job...........bread looks delish!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bake the best loaves of bread! With that lone tomato in the middle you could call it "Bulls Eye Bread"! LOL!

    Glad the Beet Buns worked out for you. So far I think they are one of our favorites and probably in the top 5 at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your bread looks wonderful and I love that bit of tomato goodness in the middle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too loved this bread, and I agree with you, more tomato is called for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't get to this bread, but everyone is giving it such high reviews I will be trying it. Go for the pesto pinenut bread it is wonderful as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought the beet bread was going to cook up pinker, too, based on the dough color. Your bread looks great--like your lone tomato winking out there!
    ~Jenny~

    ReplyDelete
  7. looks great, love the red specks in the bread.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny, I had all the stuff for the avocado bread, but didn't get to it in time for the challenge (just ate the avocados instead!) It looks wonderful and maybe I will have to give the red beet bread a chance after all - we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your beet buns are so pretty! My guacamole loaf had a few straggler veggies, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought it was very adept of you to place that one piece of tomato in the middle of the bread like that! Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think the lone tomato is perfectly placed. How ever did you manage?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your beet buns look great, and your guac bread rose up so pretty. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So glad you tried the red beet buns. My son liked them as well.

    Your avocado-guacamole bread looks really good. I'm with you though, I think it could use a little more flavor next time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bread looks wonderful. I can never get mine to rise that high!! Maybe I should let rise a little longer?

    ReplyDelete