Thursday, February 25, 2010

Bread Challenge #4 Whole Wheat Bread with Olive Oil

Time for another Challenge from the HBin5 Bread Making Group.

This is the bread that I make more often than any other bread - weekly in fact. Every Friday night is PIZZA NIGHT. Pizza night started out about 15 years ago with our friends who would come over and we would make pizza on a Boboli. I cringe now that I write that because I can't imagine eating those crusts again after making my own crust. From that I moved up to using pre-made pizza dough from various locations. My favorite was from a local Artisan Bread Store where I paid $5 for two balls of pizza dough. It was yummy dough, but once I got ABin5 and then HBin5, I was hooked on making my own pizza crust. It not only was easier and cheaper but tasted great too.

So every Friday we make a cheese or pepperoni pizza and what I call "left-over" pizza. Left-over pizza is just as it sounds. I look in the fridge and see what's there and put it on top of a pizza. Our favorite combos lately are roasted grape tomatoes, spinach, garlic, onions, and chicken. I also make a fajita pizza if we have left-over fajitas. I have also been topping it lately with goat cheese which I really love.
I was reading the recipe about the aloo paratha and thought that was a great way to make a calzone. So I looked in the fridge and saw mushrooms, spinach and left over apple/chicken sausages. So I sautéed it all up,

put it in the dough as the aloo describes, sealed it up, and baked. I made two individual calzones. I had a bit of a problem with the first one sticking badly to the pizza peel so it came out a little lopsided. The second one I used more flour and cornmeal and it slid off just fine. I used a little pasta sauce for dipping and it was delicious. This is definitely going to be added to Pizza Night from now on.

This was the lopsided one as you can see. Still tasted good. Didn't get a picture of the one that came out nicely but my husband said it was great when he ate it.

Happy Baking and Eating!


14 comments:

  1. My husbands favorite is apple chicken sausage and I make it myself too. So nice to have a stash of sausage when you need it!

    My calzones always fall a part too. I think the filling is too heavy but it tastes so good who cares if the crust crumbles!

    Now that you bring it up, we've not bought a pizza in years, probably close to 10 years at least.

    Your pizza looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your 'leftover' pizza tradition! I love the chicken sausages from Sam's. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to use leftovers- pizza night! Not even my kids would complain about those. LOL Your calzone looks wonderful- love your flavor combination for the filling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great way to use up what's in the fridge. Your breads all looked just fine. The best compliment is when someone can't wait to eat it hefore the photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I definitely foresee some calzones in my future with this dough. And more pizza! I love the olive oil flavor and how puffy the dough gets (I like really doughy pizza crusts). Love your topping ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought this dough would make great pizza as well. At least for me, LOL, since hubby doens't like the WW now matter what I do. You did a great job with these!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow awesome pizza and the calzone looks divine

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love what you put inside your calzone (aka aloo paratha...still haven't really figured out what the difference is between the two LOL). I was thinking about making pizza with the leftover Olive Oil dough that have...now I will for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pizza night with leftovers! What a great idea! I love pizza. Your calzones look fabulous even if they did stick to the peel. Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the idea of leftover pizza night! I am definitely going to have to institute that when I have a family. The pizza and calzone look great.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great idea to have a pizza night at the weeks end. Nifty idea to clean out the fridge and waste not....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too liked the leftover pizza night.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Calzones look great! I never manage too well on presentation, but I think I do pretty well with taste. I always figure it all gets chewed up the same anyhow.
    ~Jenny~

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really creative! You took the HB5 recipe for an Indian bread and made it your own! Good going!!!

    ReplyDelete